Industrial production processes are moving towards a new dimension characterized by "Digital Manufacturing" or "Industry 4.0" like initiatives. Several European initiatives are playing central roles towards that direction. In that context, supply chain optimization and integration into the overall workflow is a key issue towards efficient and flexible production satisfying individual customer's needs. Future concepts like component based and collaborative automation, as alongside the 4th industrial revo-/evolution, require much more distributed functionalities than those used today.
OPTIMUM aims to support innovative concepts for engineering, commissioning, control and supervision of smart manufacturing and material handling. It will be in line with European, National and international initiatives towards digital manufacturing, closely related to on-going activities in working groups around the German initiative Industry 4.0. Taking the results from ongoing architectural, component and ontology discussions, OPTIMUM's major goals are: improvement of the aspects of distributed control, adaptation of (I)IoT technologies to real industrial needs, enhancement of control and applications by context and location awareness as well as application design and common-model based 3D engineering and supervision.
The project addresses the following problems:
- Efficient programming of industrial control application requires interoperable tools and application frameworks
- Material handling components are either individually manually operated or by a central controller
- Seamless industrial real-time communication on wired and wireless networks is not achieved today
- Safety and precise positioning of material handling components mainly belongs to the responsibility of the human operator
- Security and safety of industrial applications are fundamental aspects for the acceptance of application related “self”-functions and collaborated work
- Engineering, commissioning and operation of distributed applications must be kept easy and comfortable